Sault Ste. Marie Energy Storage - Convergent + GE / IESO
Convergent Energy + Power will install a 7 megawatt (MW)-7 megawatt hour battery energy storage system for the Ontario Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO). The complete solution features GE’s Mark* VI plant control system with SCADA, Brilliance* MW Inverters, packaged lithium ion battery modules, medium-voltage transformers and switchgear integration.
The 7 MW / 7 MWh lithium-ion battery project will provide Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator with Reactive Support and Voltage Control services via a pay-for-performance service contract. Additionally, the project has been strategically located in PUC Services territory, allowing it to balance and integrate 60 MWs of photovoltaic solar capacity and 150 MWs of peak load on the end of a 115 kV radial circuit.
- Renewing the Soo: How alternative energy investments are transforming Sault Ste. Marie. Financial Post. (2016). Source
- Sault Ste Marie Piloting 7 MW Energy Storage System. Electrical Industry Canada. (2017). Source
- Battery project coming to Sault Ste. Marie. Sault Star. (2016). Source
- Convergent Energy & Power putting station in the Sault. Sault Online. (2017). Source
- Sault hosting test facility for energy storage. Northern Ontario Business. (2017). Source
- Battery project has people charged up. SooToday.com. (2016). Source
- Convergent's energy storage plant ready to launch. Sault Star. (2017). Source