The Amphora project is comprised of a +/-4 MW (8 MW total range) / 2.6 MWh lithium battery that provides frequency regulation to the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) system.
The project utilizes lithium iron phosphate batteries. There are two containers that house batteries weighing approximately 20 tons each, as well as a third container that converts the direct current (DC) output to alternating current (AC) for the injection and withdrawal of real power to and from the grid. The project was awarded to RES by IESO following a competitive tender.
- RES Completes 4 Megawatt BYD Battery Project In Ontario. BYD USA. (2014). Source
- BYD Batteries Find Home In 4 MW Energy Storage System In Ontario, Canada. InsideEVs. (2014). Source
- Lithium energy storage system commissioned in Ontario. Canadian Manufacturing. (2014). Source
- News Release - RES Canada Announces Completion of Energy Storage System. (2014). Source
- RES Canada Completes Energy Storage System In Ontario. North American Windpower. (2014). Source